Friday, September 6, 2013

Modesty

My dad shared this video with my family a couple mornings ago. It is Al Martin preaching a sermon on modesty. This is an issue that is very rarely addressed in our society yet it is very important. I really appreciate the direct way he approaches the subject. My only warning is that though this is a church sermon it may not be appropriate for all audiences.


A lot of christian girls don't think that it matters how they dress because after all "God only looks at the heart right?" The thing is God does care about how we dress otherwise he wouldn't have addressed it in the Bible (see. 1 Timothy 2:9, 1 Peter 3:3, Deuteronomy 22:5) Also the men around us do not see our hearts; they only see the outside of us. Although men are responsible for keeping their hearts pure; we will also be held accountable if we dress in a provocative way that causes them to stumble no matter how pure our intentions are. The culture we live in is not a modest culture. It doesn't even pretend to be. Whole clothing industries are given over to providing immodest and sensual clothes and most of the latest trends  are anything but modest and feminine. If we blindly follow the trends we will be dressing in ways that cause our brothers in Christ to stumble. (Now I am not saying that everything that is stylish is immodest; I am just saying most everything is.) There are also some things that we might think are o.k that are a stumbling block to the guys around us. That is why hearing guys perspective on modesty is a good thing. The modesty survey by Alex and Brett Harris is helpful as well as this video. I hope you will take the time to listen to this sermon or talk to your dad and brothers and prayerfully evaluate your wardrobe. The purity of our brothers in Christ is more important than the latest trends.

3 comments:

  1. Such an important topic. Thanks for sharing.

    P.S.I started a blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Em!!! I totally agree! It makes me evaluate myself...like what about my clothing sometimes. Thanks! Very edifying! ;) Keep it up, Em! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good sermon and excellent thoughts, Em. Thank you! We could always use reminders. :)

    ReplyDelete